So when I came into work, I was ready to get in the air and move an 800lb barrel of concrete around the airfield. But I wasn't expecting to also do this...
This job consists of:
- waiting until the ~19,000lb comes into a 10' hover over the load
- running through the downwash from the rotor to stand directly underneath the helicopter
- hooking the load to the cargo hook on the belly of the bird
- checking that the cable is securely connected to load
- then running back out from under the helicopter
- don't forget to keep an eye on the helo in case it starts falling on you.
I definitely love my job. But getting to do something else for a day, with the added bonus of a little adrenaline rush, was pretty cool.